Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunny and Brisk

Frost on the windshields in the parking lot sparkle through our bedroom. Although it's 25 degrees outside, the sun is shining jollily. Jamie, my roommate, and I are sitting at our laptops listening to some Celtic music.

Have I told you about Jamie?

Jamie is from Hillsburg, California (Although I had never heard of it she informed me that there is a high school, post office, and hotel). It is a town surrounded by vinyards. Her father is a carpenter and creates cupboards and counter tops for kitchens. She is third youngest of 10 kids! How does she remember who is who? How does her mom remember who needs to be where when? I think it takes special people to be part of large families.

In her second year here at BYU-Idaho, she is well on her way through her pshycology major. She is a dilligent studier and loves to read.

When Jamie and I first met, I was a little apprehensive. After rooming with a talkative former mission companion, Jamie's simple, quiet demeanor was almost uncomfortable. Jamie is shy in first meeting. I asked all the normal "getting to know the new roommate" questions, and she replied simply and occasionaly asked the question back in return. During the first few nights, one of was always asleep before the other. "Great," I would say to myself, "I am never going to get to know this roommate."

Boy was I wrong! After a few more weeks, we were able to run into each other more often at home. She opened up quickly, contrary to my predictions. I discovered that Jamie can crochete, she loves to cook sweets (which I am really grateful for), she is particular about her hyegiene (oten showers twice a day), and she has the most adorable giggle!
The best thing about Jamie is her stalwart example. Every morning, with out fail, after washing her face and brushing her teeth, she kneels down at her bed to pray. Not only is it impressive that she always remembers, but that she does it after she has waken herself up a bit. At night, she dives into her scripture study and often shares something she learned.

I am grateful that Jamie is my roommate. There is a happy feeling in our room (which stays clean all the time this semester: Love it!). How wonderful is it to come home to someone who accepts you, talks to you, and makes you laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment